Saturday, May 14, 2005

Stealth Mode

Today's Horrorscope:

Rather than making a splash, go into stealth mode. You'll learn more.

When I read it I had to laugh out loud! We have our family reunion tomorrow. Since Mom and I are in charge of it that means we have extra work to do, most which can't be done until the last minute. I work 6 days a week, so that means I'll have to hustle this evening to get my cooking done and other stuff like laundry for the week. Since I'll be busy from noon until late afternoon tomorrow, I need to do my weekend chores tonight.

Yesterday Doug and I had dinner plans. And today, my brother told me he would take me to an early dinner so I could relax for an hour or so before getting into the rush of the evening.

But my mom has other plans. Since she's staying the weekend, along with my Granny, she decided to have a cook-out at the house late afternoon. I worked late yesterday and rushed home to get ready for my dinner date and didn't talk to her. John mentioned our plans while I was gone and Mom told him about the cookout she had planned. He asked if she had told me about it. Her words "No, she'll find out about it when she gets off work tomorrow."

She could have told me last night when I got home and this morning before I left for work. She didn't. John called at 1 pm and told me about her 'secret' plans. She knew I would object. We've got enough to do besides entertaining and the extra cleanup job afterwards. I was angry. Very angry and angry enough to make a splash but then... I thought... Hmmm I have an upperhand here. She doesn't know I know. Nor does she know I have to work until 4.

So what am I going to do? I'm going to go shopping after work. I deserve a new reunion outfit and while I'm out, I'll unwind at the bookstore. And grab a salad at Subway and maybe read some. I figure I can slip in around 7:30. When Mom says, "Where have you been? We cooked-out and I needed you here." I'll say, "I didn't know. You didn't tell me about cooking out."

Stealth mode, baby.

No comments: