Monday, May 16, 2005

The Day After....Sunday

Boy I'm tired today and a cranky poodle. I think I over-did it this weekend. Tried to take on too much. For all my ranting on Saturday, I ended up back at home as soon as I got off work. It's hard to shrug off responsibilities after a life-time of duty. I did most of the clean-up after the cookout, then most of the cooking Sat night and all of it Sunday morning. Got the tables and other stuff set up for the reunion and surprisingly, we had about 20 to show up that weren't expected too. A good crowd. We had fun and one of the other cousins volunteered to be in charge of it next year, if I would take care of securing the church and getting the place ready. I said SURE.

Granny's down until Thursday. She can't stay still for even 5 minutes. This morning, I had my cereal at the table as I read the morning paper and she kept coming over to peer into my bowl. I was spooning out the last of it and she took the bowl away before my spoon left it. One dirty dish and it was killing her. I left soon after. She doesn't mean any harm but it drives me nuts. Mom keeps saying that one day we'll wish she were there driving us nuts. I agree. And I do my best not to show irritation.

Had two quarters yesterday and gave one to Ben and tried to give the other to William. He said, "No thank you. I don't need it today." I gave it to Ben and told him to put it in William's "piggy" when they got home. William is a unique person. All the kids were outside playing with some beach ballss I brought after lunch, one of them landed in a deep ditch that separated the church property from a corn field. My brother-in-law and two of my younger macho cousins were debating on how to get the ball out. William goes to the edge of the woods and gets a long stick with a curve at the end and hits the bottom of the ball so it bouncing up and into the corn field. While the guys debated on who should jump across, William has already been there and back. I ran over and hugged him. "That's my smart boy." Out of three adult brains not one was as smart at problem-solving as an austic boy.

We're going to digital photo system in July. Film cameras will soon be a commodity of the past. It is hard to find professional processing labs now in our area. I wonder if Dad will be able to learn the digital system...he's a photo dinosaur. He's not PC savvy at all. He reads books and magazines and knows some digital jargon, but reading and actually comprehending are two different things. I imagine I'm in for more stress. Good thing I've got extra pockets.

No comments: