Friday, May 13, 2005

Midnight

I am out of Audio books and can't sleep so I'm here. In my satin jammies with 60's type flowers on them. Peace, baby.

When I got off work, I drove over to my favorite drugstore. I was out of the thermacare heat wraps and wanted to get another pack while I had time. I knew tomorrow would be bad, because Doug asked me to dinner and Sat, I have to get ready for the Cox family reunion. This is crazy but I dread both!!

Well, they were out. I muttered to myself about my displeasure and a lady overheard me. She told me Walmart had them--and they were cheaper too. I sighed loudly. Was I up for a trip to the Town of Walmart? Really didn't have much choice, so I drove over without much fanfare. Found a park in my favorite area to park in and as I walked to the door, I saw a familiar car...

David C.

He is an asshole...the smartass asshole types. Plus...I dated him a few times before Al and I got together and he had some harsh things to say about Al but not to his face, mind you. One thing about David C...he notices things... things that most people wouldn't mention. Like if your hair is sticking up or if you're wearing a black top and black pants which aren't the same shade..etc...

When I walked inside, I put on my David C radar... I didn't want to see him. Because I was wearing sandals and had a Jay Jay the Jet Plane band-aid on my big toe. I wore new shoes Wednesday, which rubbed a blister on my toe. I don't have normal band-aids because the nephews won't wear them.

I knew David would notice. He's one of those 'once-over' people. Since we dated, he tends to spout out cruel comments--even if they are veiled by poor use of humor.

I stopped at the end of every aisle I passed to look down before going by it. When I finally found the heatwraps, I heard his voice and his son's "but DAD!!" (he got married after we dated and has a kid whose William's age) and I grabbed the icy hot brand instead of the thermacare. And ran. I hid in the bike section, which was close by. I stood by some nifty bikes, wishing I was a kid again. There was a cool pink one. I always wanted a pink one. My first bicycle was green. Anyway, I listened for Dave's voice ...trying to figure out what direction he was heading.

After a few moments of not hearing him, I made a dash for the hoisery section. I wanted to get some of those new hose that are made for sandals and mules. The half sole type. I bet I just lost my male readers...

I got what I wanted and there they were..Dave and son. Dave had a list in his hand and he was arguing with his son who wanted a toy or something. I made a quick turn and found myself in the handbag section--not a good thing. There are several shopping fetishes that I possess... 1) eccentric looking handbags.. 2) lipstick and nail polish... 3) books. I fought off the impulsive urge to buy a pastel pink bag with flowers on it. And hurried to the checkout.

Looking back now... it was have been less time-costly, if I had faced him. It would have taken less than a minute to say hi and ignore whatever smartass remark he might make. Too bad it wasn't on a middle finger--the Jay Jay band-aid. You get the image I'm sure.

I didn't think about getting any regular band-aids until I got home.

2 comments:

John said...

a day with a large variety of the Cox clan and you're dreading it? I thought I knew you better ;)

Painter Lady said...

Ya know John... I keep having thoughts of a 'cocks' reunion now!