Thursday, August 11, 2005

Local Dialects

It kills me when Dad or other people from this area, use local dialects when talking to foreign people or yankees.

For example: Fayetteville
People around here and also people from Fayetteville say "Fedvull" ...vull rhyming with full.. 3 syllables crammed into 2

Same with Whiteville .... they say "Widevull"

A guy from India who just moved to this area came by and asked if there was a place in town that sold professional photography equipment. There isn't. Dad told him to go to "Fedvull."

The guy said, "What state is Fedvull in?"

Dad laughed. I didn't. I said, "He means Fayetteville. The town Fort Bragg is in. There are several photography businesses that offer professional equipment."

The guy said, "Ahhh yes I have heard of this town. I will go there." To help him out, I looked up some addresses and phone numbers for him. He thanked me and left.

Dad made a joke about him. I didn't comment. Dad's the one who looked ignorant. Not the guy from India.

No comments: