Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Tuesday...a Misty Day

Sometimes it amazes me how sunny and bright one day can be and the next--dark and gray.
That's today! Gray Tuesday.

Weekend was fun. Not too busy but busy enough to feel as if I had a weekend.
The highlight was Sat night. I had to work late Saturday and decided to stay in
since I had the house to myself. My brother spent the weekend at our cousin Lee's.
To make a boring story short, after dark I dressed in full belly dance attire and
danced for several hours to a dance mix party on the radio. Yea I paid for it Sunday.

Had dinner with Doug Friday (was supposed to go out with my gal-friends but two of them had to cancel) and during it, I kept disagreeing with him about things...like him saying Hugh Grant was the equivalent of Cary Grant!! And how the Eddie and The Cruisers movie was about Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys! I can't see the resemblance, but then I'm not a Beach Boy Crazed Fan.

I think what capped the evening was when he told me that sometimes my intelligence was a bit frightening and he felt castrated--I think he was referring to a pizza buffet idea he had that I squashed immediately.

We went to a Barnes and Noble bookstore and I immediately walked over to the New Age section. There was a girl there, trying to sort the Tarot cards--so I gave her some advice. Doug disappeared for a while and when he came back I was in conversation with an Army guy about early Christianity and how Saul plundered the pagan religions for recruits. Doug's look of dismay abruptly ended my discussion. As we left, he said "You frighten me sometimes. Are you a pagan?"

Oh man... I lost it... Started laughing...all I could say was "NO."

It occured to me later that as long as I communicate in the language of the cotton candy world he lives in that he feels safe. But let me bring up something that can be theory only and he wants to hide behind his Beach Boys CDs. How can a person grow if they don't stretch their minds? Just because I discuss something that seems 'pagan' or 'frightening' doesn't mean I agree with it. It means I am open to exploration...and maybe some cool discoveries.

No comments: