Tuesday, April 26, 2005

April Showers

It's misty today--very gray. Not too cool but not warm either. Lukewarm?
My head isn't as achy as it was yesterday. Though for a few mins on and off today,
it's been almost achy. (Thanks Dad). He tends to make work harder than it should be.
I am always amazed at how quickly I can take a gentle touch and soothe any chaos
that Dad tends to create.

My old surgeon, Dr. Ward came in today to leave a restoration order. I had 3 surgeries on my left arm from 1971 to 74. (He did two of them.) Hermatomas...they were a cluster of bloodvessels forming a tumor on the back of my upper arm, right above the elbow. Dr. Ward took some muscle out, along with the tumor and they never came back.

I remember the first one...it was during the second grade...the boys would chase us girls during recess and grab our arms, swing us around so we fell on the ground. Keith Britt a blonde-blue-eyed cutie grabbed my left arm and I cried. It hurt so badly. The teacher came over and she examined my arm and noted the swelling. I was sent home with a note. Mom made the appointment...and that summer I had surgery.

Followed by two more. I don't remember the first surgeon Dr. Baker that well. He was old and I think on the verge of retiring. His old medical building is now an apartment complex. All I remember is that I was afraid. And an older girl named Kathy was in the same room with me. She had some sort of bladder problems. When I cried for mom, she would read to me.

I have no problems with the arm today, other than phantom pain on odd days. Dad took Dr. Ward's order and I heard him say, "I've heard a lot about you. Thankfully I've never had to use you, but some of my friends have." I thought...'your daughter has!'

I don't think Dad even realized I had surgeries done. He wasn't around much during my youth. I waited to after Dr. Ward left to tell Dad he was my old doctor. Dad looked surprised. April showers can rain down surprises, can't they Father?

No comments: