Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Sunday was Puzzle, Shell and Cake Day

My Sunday was great. Granny lives at the beach, about 60 miles or so from me. My sister Lisa and the nephews drove over on Saturday and spent the night. Mom and her John drove over early enough to go to Church with Granny on Sunday. My brother and I got there at lunchtime.

On the drive, we listened to the Rock station and discussed music. Lots of the songs were older ones and we had fun remembering the era from which they sprang. On the road, I noticed lots of dead animals. I told John it was due to a full moon risings… he gave me a look and said.. “I think it’s due to being in the path of an auto.”

The nephews were happy to see me. Ben grabbed my hand and pulled me into the dayroom. He wanted to play ‘cars.’ But when I showed him the puzzles I brought with me, he abandoned that idea. We put a 70-piece puzzle of Toy Story together first. I’m trying to show him how to put the frame together before trying to put the inside pieces in place…and to look for like colors. It was complicated for him. I think he’s used to those jumbo five piece puzzles, after all he’s only 3.

But when I pulled out the 30-piece puzzle of the Jungle Book…he was really excited. I think because it had fewer pieces. I bet we put that puzzle together 10 times. I had it memorized.

Ben got bored and ran off. Lisa sat down to chat awhile. Mom and Granny were getting lunch ready—too many women in a small kitchen can be murder. I took off my wristwatch and said, “Time me.” I put the puzzle together in less than 2 minutes. Then jumped up and did a victory dance. My sister has a way of looking at me like I’m a nut. She said, “Congratulations.” And handed my watch back. Man, why are wonderful thrilling feelings like those wasted on someone who doesn’t understand the challenge of conquering a puzzle in minutes?

We had a great meal and since I am the official nephew entertainer, I didn’t have to clean up afterwards. I was dispatched outside to play hide & seek with the boys. William counted first…to ten. Ben and I had to run away fast. I found the perfect spot to hide. William ran around shouting, “Where are you?” I had to keep reminding Ben not to tell him. When William got close to us, we jumped out and shouted, “BOO.” Poor guy—he fell over screaming. Then it was my turn. I counted to 15. William kept yelling, ‘Over here. We’re hiding over here.” I tell ya, it took about 5 turns before both boys got the concept of not telling where they were hiding.

Since it was windy, we went it for a while. Mom told me that she and Lisa were going to hide Easter Eggs. Hide Easter Eggs???? The reason was that Granny doesn’t get to see the boys find eggs at Easter. I can see her point. Granny is 80 and it’s hard for her to drive over our way often. Plus it gave the boys something to do outside. And they had fun. After the hunt, they went in to open the eggs—those plastic kind you fill with candy. My sister gave my brother a few pieces and Mom had a fit. We’re to recycle the candy this Sunday!!!

Next we had the birthday cake and Granny opened presents. William gave them to her. When we would tell Granny whom the present was from, William would take it from her and give it back to the person who gave it to her. I had a good laugh over that.

After the cake, we walked down to the waterway. One of Granny’s neighbors has a short pier. William kept telling me that we were going to throw shells into the ocean. When we got to the end, I realized what he meant. At low tide, the gulls pick up shellfish from the shallows and fly up high. Then they drop the shells onto the pier, so the crack open for the gulls to eat the flesh inside. The pier was covered in shells, which the boys tossed back into the water. My sister was terrified that they would fall in. They didn’t, btw.

After that, we all left and got home around 6:30 or so. I was tired. But it was a great day. Granny enjoyed it and that’s what makes me the happiest.

No comments: