Monday, March 21, 2005

Cripples and the Kettle Boils

You know... I'm a very easy going person. 90% of the time I've got a joke or a silly story to tell. And when I do blow up...its usually not a pretty sight...

Every working day since 1994 (actually since 1989 but my office was in the back of the other building--in this building, I'm close to the front lobby where dad hangs out), my dad and his friends sit and discuss how horrible the world is...how some government official (it varies) is the AntiChrist, how the mexicans are stealing local jobs, how corrupt the government--local and national is, etc and so forth. If someone has done 99 'things' right out of 100 --they concentrate on that 1 thing done wrong.

I sit ... I listen and do my best to block it out. If I'm working on an intricate job, I can block. If I'm printing or scanning or my fan's going...I miss most of the conversation. Most of the time I disagree with their conclusions...but that's because I am a Republican. And I know its no use giving my opinion because they look at me like I'm a pet monkey who's learned sign lanuage.

Today...there was no blocking. I had already done my day's work of printing. And was working on contrast/brightness and color balancing of some faded photos. Dad and two of his cohorts were talking. Actually one of them was doing most of the talking--- James, the Town Crier. He's 77 and comes in almost daily to discuss how bad the world is. He interjects his doomsday rambles with "amen... Praise Jesus...The Bible says love everyone and I do..."... you get the picture.

I'm working and listening and the first thing he said to the others that makes my kettle start to steam was "Wasn't yesterday a nice day? I went to church. Amen. And it was 'woman's day.' You know, what's wrong with the world today is women. Take that Rice woman for example...she doesn't need to be talking to Korea..."

I took a deep breath and continued my tasks. He went into some of the other problems with the middle east and our local sherrif's department.

There is a handicapped guy who is downtown a lot. He gets around on crutches and has what my brother has .."cerebral palsy." James calls him a 'cripple.' Today for some reason, James decides to bash 'cripples.' I hate that word. My brother John is not a cripple. He's not even handicapped...he's disabled. We do not own a handicap sticker for the truck.

I have to give my dad a little credit. He did argue with James over the 'cripple issue'. And I have to give Earl, the other guy credit because he tried to change the subject. The topic went on for a good 10 minutes. I kept saying to myself, "Sherrie, ignore him. He's the 'cripple.' And it almost worked until James said, "All cripples are pitiful. They should be thankful we take time to help them out. Amen."

That did it... my kettle boiled over. I stood up with enough force to cause my chair to push backwards and crash over, as one of the wheels caught on the rug. In a flash, I stood before the men. My voice was crystal clear. I don't know how I managed not to cry because I was so angry but I didn't. Here's what I said... mainly to James..

I pointed a finger at him... "Handicapped people are not cripples. They cope with life better than you do. Every day you come in here you reek with negativity. Have you not looked outside and noticed the sunshine...that the pear trees and the tulip trees are blooming? Do you not see the good that's around you?"

He looks at Dad as if to say, "What's her problem?" Dad looks at me and starts laughing. Not a good thing to do.

"I sit and I hear you guys discuss the horrors of the world. Every sentence is laced with negativity... I'm talking to you too Dad. I am sick and tired of hearing it. You men need to try to find some good in this world, beause I have some sad news to tell you... the world has always been troubled and its always going to have troubles. I suggest you take time to look at a flower, study the clouds and the sun or even the moon, because there is beauty and there is goodness all around us. If our town is so bad, get involved and see if you can make a difference."

James chooses this moment to ask Dad "Is she on her monthly?"

(Do you think that was a good idea? You're right if you said no...)

He got my full attention. I guess its the Scorpio in me that knew where to strike...where the soft belly was must vulnerable...

"James, you spew out Christianity with every breath. You say you go to church every week and you close your paragraphs with Amen. If you are so high and mighty in the sight of God and if you really have the love of Jesus in your heart, it looks like you would be spreading it around instead of concentrating on satan's handiwork. Where's the love? Don't you think God would want you to witness about the beauty of his world? Look deep man because what you say reflects what's in your heart. Amen? Amen!"

He got up and said, "I'm leaving." He hustled out with his hat on crocked. And Earl went out right behind him. Dad sat for a min and then looked at his watch. "Oh I've got to get to the lab." He flew out of here. And stayed away for about 30-40 mins.

I am better now. But my good humor was snatched away and the rest of my weekend stories deserve to be written when I am in jolly spirits... I figure a good night's rest will restore me.

No comments: