Saturday, June 18, 2005

Whiling away the Hours



Stuck here at work. It's a mild day--temps in the 80's and I want to go to the beach. But...Dad's off photographing a wedding and I'm here until 4 pm.

My half-sister Elizabeth is allegedly driving down tomorrow to spend Father's Day with us. She's canceled several trips at the last minute and I'll not hold my breath that she'll be here tomorrow. We've rearrange our schedule just for her and I'll be pissed if she doesn't show. Dad has no idea and doesn't know about her other canceled trips. I figured it was best not to mention them, because he would feel that she's playing some sort of game.

I'm sure it's hard for her to visit. He left her when she was small too and they never bonded. I think the only reason we knew Dad somewhat while growing up was because his family (mom, sister, aunts/uncles, etc) lived here. When he left Elizabeth's mom, he left Elizabeth. She never knew Grandma or any of the family growing up. She doesn't really know Dad and has these illusions about him. She thinks the reason he's not happy (Dad's NOT a happy person to begin with--some people are like that though) is because she and her kids aren't a part of his life. That she'll somehow make him complete. What can I say? Nothing... she'll find out how he really is if she gets to know him...and if she doesn't...well, she'll have her illusions to comfort her.

He's almost 64 and she's just now trying to spend time with him. Kinda hard to make up for lost years I think...anyway enough of that...

Had an idea for a story... about dragonflies. I think I'll write it up before I head out today. Still have to get a gift certificate at a men's clothing store for Dad. He's impossible to please, so I figured I would get him one and he could go get what he wants. Cooking lunch tomorrow. I think I'll bake some chicken breasts and have some vegetables and potatoes to go with them. Maybe bake a pie. The house is already clean (thanks Mom).

Told Dad I was cooking for tomorrow and he let a sigh of relief. I laughed because Lisa's been doing the cooking and sad to say, she's not a natural chef. I learned how to cook starting at the age of 10. Plus I enjoy it. I think that's her problem...she hates the kitchen.

Was going to drive to Myrtle Beach tonight but can't find a partner-in-crime, so I think I'll stay in and goof off at home. My brother left yesterday for Georgia. He'll be gone until next Sunday. It will seem strange not having him around. I hope I'll be able to sleep at night when I'm by myself. This morning I kept the nephews and Ben kept going to John's room saying "Jah gone."

No comments: