Thursday, June 16, 2005

Weaser..Tweezer...Teaser

Drove my brother John to work this morning. It's a good 15 min drive and we always have some sort of topic to go over, unless he's mad at me for something silly like...not cooking supper the night before.

But today wasn't like that. One topic lead to another and we settled on talking about the old times at Peckers back in 95-97 or so, mainly wondering where some of the old crowd was now.

There was one guy whose nickname was Teaser. He was a very good friend of my brother's...a young guy--short with black hair, brown eyes and kind of had a dorky personality. I didn't think of him as a teaser. He was more of a Weaser to me. So I called him Weaser. He worked at the Campbell Soup plant in one of the local towns. I knew others who worked there and they all said they would never buy or eat a can of the soup.

One night at Peckers, Teaser was sitting with John and I, making small talk when I thought about the Campbell Soup plant. I decided to ask him about eating the soup.

"So Weaser, I hear you work at the Campbell Soup plant. Do you ever eat the soup?"

He looked around before answering, then in a whisper he said, "Yes, but I have to be fast so my supervisor doesn't see me."

I paused before replying. Because he was extremely serious and I found that so damn funny. The images he put in my head... oh what fun.

"Hmm, Weaser, I meant do you buy it and eat it...not at the plant while you're making it."

"OOOhhhh... no. I don't buy it."

My brother interjected, "Sherrie, his name isn't Weaser...it's Tweezer."

Weaser-Tweezer said, "Teaser."

John crossed his arms like he does when someone gets the best of him, glares at me and says, "Sherrie! You called him Weaser so much that now I'm confused."

Well, that was almost 10 yrs ago and as we arrived at his work, I said "Wonder what happened to Weaser? Bet he's still eating soup on the job."

"Sherrie, it's Tweezer." Long pause and then, "Dammit, Sherrie... you've made me forget his name!"

"Teaser. At least to you he was Teaser. Now he'll forever be Tweezer."

No comments: