Monday, June 20, 2005

Tired Sherrie



When people ask how I'm doing today? I say, "Tired." My ususal response is "So far so good."

I worked my ass off Sat night and Sunday morning getting all the food read. I made my special chicken salad, baked chicken, rice cooked in chicken broth, steamed squash and chives, red potatoes, rhutabaga, homemade biscuits (albeit lumpy ones), a chocolate cake and a small cinnamon roll. Also made some Raspberry tea. They ate it all. No one but me drank the tea. I'm slowly realizing my family is a ' diet soda pop' world.

E arrived an hour ahead of time. It gave us time to talk. I had some family photos for her. I knew once everyone arrived, I would be busy and it would be hard to talk privately.

Dad was shocked that E was there. She sort of hid in the dining area. He stood in the doorway talking to me and Lisa. I moved back into the kitchen and Lisa followed me. So did Dad, telling me about the Wedding he photographed on Sat. He noticed Elizabeth. And nodded to her. Kept talking. I think it took a second to realize who it was. He stopped mid-sentence and hugged her.

After they stopped hugging, he looked at me. I said, "See, I can keep secrets, too." He didn't say anything. I think he knew that I was referring to the 30 yr secret he kept: Elizabeth. But then again he might not have realized my true meaning.

I saw tears in his eyes. Left the room to wipe mine. The reunion was emotional.

I spent most of the day, making sure that everyone had what they needed. The boys think when they are at my house that I'm the only one who can help them do whatever. Everyone had a great time. I was so exhausted. In fact I still am. There was so much to clean and put away.

It was a nice day. I'm glad she came.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like it was abusy day for you, i hope you got a chance to enjoy the day too Missy... Jo :)

Painter Lady said...

I did. Worried myself to death almost, but it turned out to be a fun day.