Monday, June 13, 2005

Baseball


/


I saw the F'ville Swamp Dogs play Saturday night. They won 1-0. No, I'm not taking credit.They played a great game. I was impressed.

There's a 'Beer Garden' where you can sit and drink beer while the game's going on. I didn't go up to it, but the lady I went with did and often...I was driving so she had no worries.

The crowd was a mixture of families and GIs. At first I was uncomfortable sitting by myself in the stands, but the 3 GIs who sat beside me were very friendly and treated me like a sister. Maybe because I was at least 15 yrs older. Didn't take me long to get into the game. I soon found myself shouting out insults at the other team when they were up to bat... like "You need a batter not a broken ladder." The GIs laughed at me, "You tell 'em, girl."

And I endeared an 8-yr-old boy to me when I shouted at the other team's second baseman when he missed a ball..."You missed it, you missed it ...now you got to kiss it." The kid thought I was as great as sliced bread. We spent much of the game thinking up insults and cheers. We even had the GIs joining in.

Yea, taunting the other team is always fun, even if you don't understand the game. But luckily I do. Allen was a big baseball fan and we went to a bunch of the Charlotte Knights games. After a while it rubs off on you. The father of my new 8-yr-old buddy gave me some info on the league, which helped me to feel more at home.

After the game was over and all the high-fiving was done, I realized I was now an official Swamp Dawgette. I ventured up to the beer garden to get my drunk friend and we headed home. Too bad she was too busy getting drunk and not watching the game...so we couldn't talk about the game on the way home. So instead we talked about the players and how fine their asses looked in the uniforms....

see ...baseball can be fun for all ages and sexes!

No comments: