Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Wet Wednesday Part 1

But not in the fun kinda way.

It's raining... very steadily. Sideways rain. The type that has a wind behind it, which pushes against your umbrella and it's all you can do to hang on and not do a Mary Poppins.

Today has been a productive work day. Finished zapping those dots and worked of a 5 picture collage. Both are ready for the printer.

I used to do almost all the jobs at the studio, except the actual photography part. One of the jobs was ordering stuff like albums, frames, delivery bags, lacquer sprays and other photographic needs. It took a few years to wean myself away from many of those duties. But I did it. Now the world loads even between me and Dad. I work so much better not having the extra pressure there.

Dad had to run do an errand he should have done yesterday. As he was leaving he asked me to place an order to a supply company in Atlanta. I used to call them weekly. Knew their number by heart and 90% of the salespeople. All very nice. But today, I sat at the desk and stared at the phone, trying to remember the number. I got the catalogue out and it was on the cover. Looked at the list taped to the phone and saw Dad had written descriptions instead of order numbers. That's my dad!

I looked up the numbers and then called the company. The saleslady was one I remembered from before. She asked for the zip code, then the company name and then for my name. I said, "It's Sherrie."

She said, "Oh my God... we miss you. We ask the man who calls now if you're still there and he says that you're playing on the computer."

Oh I laughed. I'm playing some but also getting more work done that most of you think.

I told her it was nice to talk to her again and that I was busy with photographic restorations and let the 'man' handle phoning in orders. Then I gave her the list of things I needed. She was quiet for a moment and then said.

"The man...John... never gives us the item number. He gives us a description and we have to pull up past orders to see what he's talking about. All of us have told him to write them down for future references."

Oh I laughed again. That's so Dad. He never makes anything easy on himself or anyone he deals with. I told her I would make a list of item numbers for him to go by but I couldn't guarantee he would use them.

4 comments:

Jo said...

What happened to part 2 ?

Painter Lady said...

Part 2 got rained out!

Jo said...

Ahhhh come on... make part 2 of wet wednesday the fun kind...

You know... all puddle jumping and umbrella jacking :))

Jo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.