Monday, June 20, 2005

Irish Pirate

I've spent some time this past week, posting chapters. As I read them, I think..."Wow...I wrote that????"

The novel was first written in Nov of 2003 for the national novel writing month org project. Nov is National Novel Writing Month and the idea is to write a 50, 000 word novel during this time. Didn't manage to do it this past year ...mainly because after writing the Pirate so fast and having to invest so much time in editing...it's taken a lot of extra work I think. The story I had begun in Nov 2004 is a good one and an involving one with more characters than I have in the Pirate. So for the story's sake I stopped.

Back to the Pirate...I had the story in my head long before I started writing it. As I wrote it, I could see the characters in living color. With each word, I lived the story. Someone told me it read like a Lifetime Network Movie of the Week. At first, I wasn't sure that was good or bad...then I decided it was good...because if it reads like a movie in that person's head...then I caught the imagery and actions of my characters, so that they seem life-like.

It is a huge task to write a novel... and remain true to your characters, even the not so nice ones. Jo left offlines about the Pirate today. She's enjoying the story and I confess her encouragement gives me fuel to finish editing the story and to continue with my next one. Thank you, Jo. :)

No comments: