Monday, June 06, 2005

Ah...the sweet taste of Monday

Another week begins.

The weekend flew by with lots of activities. I'm surprised I'm not dragging today. Didn't get alot of sleep and I danced on a wooden plank deck Saturday night in barefeet. My calves are sore and I'm amazed my feet survived intact.

Friday night was quiet due to raining on and off. My friends had a few new faces added to the usual group. I was introduced to a cute conceited surfer type guy who is a camera man for one of the local tv stations...the fact that I don't remember which one tells me that he really made a bad impression. I think because his job is labeled 'creative' that our hosts thought we would blend together. Wrong!

The guy I was attracted to is a soldier from Fort Bragg who works with Will on base. He is cute and funny but... always a but... just recently separated from his wife. Every other sentence began with " my wife ...or me and the wife" ... it was obvious that he was still emotionally attached to her. Maybe that's why he attracted me... the "emotionally unavailable magnet."

Saturday was cloudy but I still went out to the ocean and sat under a large umbrella with my binoculars, searching the water for signs of sea life. Lathered to the nines in sunscreen that I borrowed from another girl with an Irish complexion, I enjoyed the quiet of the day. A lot of people were out, playing volley ball and other games. I spent the time in thought.

Was suppose to drive up to New Bern for a wedding but like a chicken with my head cut off, I forgot to take the directions and contact numbers. Left the papers on the table with my camera. So I didn't go. Which turned out to be ok.

The GI and I drove to the Aquarium at Fort Fisher in the afternoon. I hadn't been since 94. They've added a lot of new exhibits. We spent 3 hours there. My favorite display is still the seahorses. I love them.

That night we grilled New York Strip steaks and King Mackeral steaks. It was all so good. We talked about going to a club but in the end, we put on some music and danced on the deck under starlight. It was a clear night and so very warm. I had fun. Tried not to be too bold with belly dance moves. Didn't want to cause any unwanted attention from guys who were attached. So I spent more time on spins and turns than I did undulations and shimmies. Which ironically caught one guy's attention. I didn't really notice him much until after a particular long song, I scooted into the kitchen to get a drink of ice water. He said to those in hearing range, "Hey, have you been watching this lady dance? She dances as if she's spun from starlight."

Talk about a moral booster. Strangly I was very shy after he said that. Made me aware that he was watching me. And he was with a girl so I tried not to let him notice I noticed his attention.

Got up before daybreak Sunday morning and watched the sun rise. Lovely vision. Wrote a poem about it and I'll post it later. Left before everyone got up. I caught Dawn, the hostess in the kitchen and told her I had a blast. She made me promise to call her this week and also promise I would come along on the next trip which is on Oak Island. I told her I would. Hell, why not.

Did something good on Sunday. Drove to Holden Beach to my Granny's church and surprised her. First sermon I've listened too in years. Guess what I did? I dozed off. Granny had to introduce me to everyone. She would say, "This is my oldest Grandchild, Sherrie. I love all my grandchildren but she's the first born and special." We had lunch at a restaurant and I got home late afternoon.

Ended up taking in a movie with Doug. We saw "Longest Yard." Not a bad remake. I give it a B+.

So what am I doing today...printing pictures and also working on my next magazine issue. Since I wasn't around this weekend and last week was so darn busy, I'm behind on it. Good thing I don't have a publisher's deadline.

And too... I'm trying to take John's advice and wipe some dogshit off my shoes. Funny how you can fool yourself for only so long before you have to face feelings. Good thing I'm a great actress.

No comments: