Monday, February 28, 2005

Sher Update--Tale of Two Shanes and Tea with Emily



I have to confess that my weekend wasn't so bad.

Watched Donnie Darko and the second Resident Evil movie. Donnie Darko left me wondering what the hell is the movie about!!! Drew Barrymore was in it and I liked her role. She did a great job with it. I imagine that's how I would be as a teacher. Don't get me wrong....the movie was good. It was deep though. I almost watched it again but decided my brain cells would rebel. The Resident Evil movie was ok. I thought the first one was better. They left it open for a 3rd installment.

Worked for a while Sat. Kept having computer freezing, so I defragged and went home.

My cousin Shane and his family from Georgia were visiting last week. Jerry, his dad is my mom's brother who lives across the street and over 2 houses. Shane's the youngest. He's got a sister named Lynn who is hard to read. I can never tell if she's telling a joke or being serious. Mostly its being serious. She's not much on smiling. But ole Shane..he's wacky like my brother and me. Uncle Jerry had a cookout Sat at 5. It was fun.

Shane's about 10 yrs younger than I am. He has a great job working construction. His wife Amy is a Native American. They have two cute boys, 7 and 2. Aunt Ann, Shane's mom doesn't like that Shane's married to Amy. She hides it but has a lot to say after each trip or visit. She's not one of my favorite people.

Shane's hair is down his back and in a pony tail. Aunt Ann isn't happy about that either.

When I told Shane I had a book published, he said "Just one. They didn't print more." At first I stared at him, trying to comprehend his comment. Then suddenly I started laughing. I was like, "you nut!" I showed him a copy of my book and he dissected it, asking a lot of questions. I told him about Doug not understanding this poem:

Cranberry Lipstick

lipstick of
cranberry red
shaped her
full parted lips

every line drawn
and caressed

he kissed her
reading Braille

Shane read it and said, "Course it makes sense. He can't do both. So while he's kissing her, he's reading the McDonald's menu in Braille."

We lost it. I laughed so hard.

After the cookout, my Brother and I went back over to the house. His friend Shane was down visiting family. Shane is the younger brother of one of John's old friends. Once Shane came of age, he started hanging out with John and they became the best of pals. We fondly call Shane a "Tumble Weed" because of his fondness for moving and changing jobs.

Ironically Shane is the same age as my cousin Shane. While my cousin Shane has long flowing hair, our friend Shane has his head shaved.

And he's got a big crush on me.

He came over early evening. When he saw me, he said, "There's my girl. And still so beautiful...looking so good. You're single, aren't you? No wedding plans?"

I laughed and said "I'm available."

He said, "Good. John always wanted me as a Brother-in-law."

We decided to go out to the sports bar and play pool. My brother watched as Shane and I played. After a few games, we stopped playing and moved to a booth in the bar area. Shane sat beside me and massaged my shoulders and my hands, all the while singing my praises. John told him about my book and we talked about writing. Shane almost quoted my doctor by asking if there wasn't anything I couldn't do.

I will confess...if my brother hadn't of been around that I might would have let him give me a total body massage... it's tempting... having a young sexy guy stroke my...ego... and there is chemistry between us.

But probably.. I wouldn't have let it go far. Sex would change things and I kind of like having a handsome Tumble Weed roll over me with compliments whenever he rolls into town.

Sunday was nice. My friend Doug's grandmother died almost 2 weeks ago. She lived with him and his daugher, Emily--who's 4. His mom was there a few nights a week too. Emily was very close to her Grandma. She was in the hospital room when she let out her last breath. According to Doug, Emily is having a hard time coping with her grandmother going to Heaven. Doug asked if he could bring Emily over for a visit. Because she is fond of me and he thought it would be good for her.

I feel for the child. Her mother has no interest in her and she is such a sweet girl. So they came over around 1. We went to a Chuck E. Cheese type place and had pizza. After that Emily played arcade games. We came back to my house and hung out for an hour. Doug and John talked about sports while Emily and I had a pretend tea party.

It was during the tea party that Emily mentioned her Grandmother.

"Miss Sherrie, may I talk to you about something?" She asked while pouring more tea into my cup.

I offered her the cookie tray. "More cookies, Miss Emily?" After she got one, I said, "I am all ears. Let's talk."

We sipped tea in silence as she gathered her words. "Miss Sherrie, as you know my Grandma is in heaven. And...and...that's all." She nibbled at a cookie.

"Yes I know. So is my Grandmother. She's in Heaven too. I miss her. Did your Grandmother play with you a lot? Mine played with me some."

"No, Miss Sherrie. My Grandma couldn't jump or run. She didn't play with me."

"I bet she talked to you. Mine liked to talk to me about Jesus and she read me stories." (Doug told me his Grandmother was very religious and read Bible stories about Jesus to Emily.)

"MINE DID TOO!!!" She was astonished that both our Grandmothers talked about Jesus.

"I bet your Grandmother and my Grandmother are up in Heaven, sitting around talking about Jesus. They love Jesus and are happy to be in Heaven."

"Yes my Grandma loves Jesus, Miss Sherrie. Is Heaven a nice place? Will my Grandma forget me?"

"Heaven is a wonderful place. And no Miss Emily...no one can forget you. I bet your Grandma talks about you all the time. And she'll never forget you, because she loves you. She hasn't stopped loving you just because she's in Heaven."

"I love her too...and I won't forget her. More tea, Miss Sherrie?"

"Yes, please...more tea."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doug sure did choose the right person for his daughter to talk to... even if that wasnt what he intended when they came to visit :)

Anonymous said...

Doug sure did choose the right person for his daughter to talk to... even if that wasnt what he intended when they came to visit :)

Painter Lady said...

I got an email from him this morning. He said Emily is more at peace and is telling people that her Grandma is in Heaven with Miss Sherrie's Grandma and they are talking about Jesus and having tea parties.