Monday, February 21, 2005

Stereotypical

Hunter S. Thompson committed suicide. A writer/journalist. You know..he lived a volatile life... and it ended the same way. Hearing that he committed suicide made me feel strange because yesterday Shannon said, "Now that you're a published poet, will you be having suicide tendencies like Sylvia Plath?" Strange question to ask. Especially to a perpetually cheery person like myself.

But then not so strange to ask. After all, writers/poets/artists/musicians have been known to hide demons that drive them to sad acts such as suicide.

We all have our demons. Some people deny them and continue living their mediocre life. Others thrive on them, feeling as if they can't live a normal sane life if they don't have their demons to drive them forward. Allen is such a person.

There are people like me, who know that demons lurk in shadows and if I'm not careful can consume my soul. But through my life experiences I've learned to face them...that once I look them in the eye, they aren't so frightening. They are bearable, even if the weight of them causes my back to bend until my shoulders touch the ground. I can still bear them.

So my answer to Shannon is no...I won't be embracing suicidal tendencies, even as I embrace my demons.

No comments: