Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Ex-Almost Mother-in-law

I've been putting off calling Susan, my ex-fiance's mother for over a week. She had ordered 3 of my poetry books through me. She wants them signed. So, I buckled up, put on my mellifluous voice and called her this morning.

As usual, she went on and on about things and people I don't know, giving out too much information, which she acknowledged she was doing. Then she went on about how proud she was of me. I finally broke in and asked how she wanted the books signed. I knew one was for her and I had a suspicions about the other two. Sure enough...one was for Charles, my ex-fiance.

She begun her defense...which should have offended me but didn't. As she talked I realized how so over him I was. Hell, this past Jan made it 10 years that we had officially broken it off.

She said, "I know that Charles has a tendency to hurt people by rejecting them. I'm sorry he did that to you. But he's proud of you. And he still cares. I know it probably hurts to hear me talk about him, but I want you to know he's so proud of you."

My reply, "Actually Susan, it doesn't hurt. To be honest, Charles and I should have broken up sooner than we did. I guess, I couldn't give up on him and that's why we meandered for so long. When I think back to those times, its like a distance memory. I don't mind if he gets a book."

"Oh darling, you are such an angel. It's so nice to know we can all be close friends." (I covered the snort I gave with a fake cough) "In fact, we've joined a Bluegrass Association and if you want to come along to a concert some time, you're welcomed to join us. Jimmy (Charles's brother) and Charles are in a band. They've learned to play instruements. Jimmy plays guitar and Charles plays the banjo. Will you come with us something, sweetie? We would love for you too."

Bluegrass? Oh I almost lost it. I can't imagine hanging out with them now. I'm so different. Thankfully a customer came into the studio and I had to cut the call short.

Yes, I'll sign Charles's book. It will probably be something mundane and mellow. But as for him being proud of me. Well, I feel he has no right to feel that way. He never offered support to me, regarding anything I did. In fact, he once told me I loved my art more than I did him...or I loved books more...or I loved the sea more...

I must confess...in the end...he was right.

No comments: