Monday, February 14, 2005

Today... Boxes of Candy

When I got here today, a lady from one of the florist followed me inside with a lovely bouquet of flowers--daises, carnations and pink roses. From an admirer/friend. The card had a goofy poem and a congrats on my book. No secret admirer flowers! This is the first V-day in a few years, where I didn't get a dozen roses from an unknown source. I think the unknown source was Allen. Now that he's moved on, I don't think I'll get any. And yes, I'm glad.

About noonish, I sassayed over to the baker for coffee. My early morning tea had worn off and I needed a pick-me-up. The owner, Miss Gail's sister and her husband were there visiting. I've written about them before. Martha and Jerry. They are the people whose son was murdered last summer.

Jerry had a stroke two years ago. He's recovered but still is child-like in many ways. He always kisses my hand and tries to guess my age. He's on 25 now. lol... he started at 18. He still has a lot of guessing to do if he's going chronologically. Today he asked if I got a box of candy. I said no. I got flowers. He looked disappointed.

I laughed and said, "Well Jerry, I guess we know what ranking you give flowers on Valentine's day? They don't stand a chance against a box of candy."

"I've got Martha a box of candy."

"Did you take a bite out of each piece? That's what I do when I give candy at Valentine's Day. I take a bite out of each piece, so the person I give the candy to won't have to try and guess what's inside each piece. All they have to do is look at the center."

He looked at Martha and said, "She's funny."

Martha said, "Sherrie, don't put ideas in his head."

I figured I would exit, before Martha forbid me to talk to Jerry anymore. I'll teach him bad habits for sure.

When I got back to work with our coffee, Dad was admiring my flowers. The card wasn't put back like I had it, so I knew he had read it. No biggie... he's probably still trying to figure out who they are from. Sometimes mysteries are more fun if they remain mysterious.

I went back to work. Wes from next-door came in with some of our mail. We sometimes have a blonde mail carrier...no other explanation needed. He asked Dad if the flowers were for him, because they couldn't be for me. I was getting Rubies-Diamonds and Pearls (see the post titled Rubies, Diamonds and Pearls). Dad said that they were mine. I heard Wes say, "Whoever sent them must not of gotten the Goddess memo."

2 comments:

sarah hb said...

Hiya!
I've just worked out how to add links to my blog and was wondering if I could add a link to your blog from mine so that my friends can enjoy your writings too.
x

Painter Lady said...

Hi Sarah,
Sure you can link to my blog. I appreciate you reading here.
xxxooo
Sherrie