Saturday, February 12, 2005

What goes around..comes around

Back in the early 90's.... "Sweating to the Oldies" by Richard Simmons was popular. My aunt Shirley (my dad's sister) bought a video. One day in the early 90's, I went over there to visit and ask her opinion on an oil painting I had done for an exhibit. She's an artist--I get my talent from her. In fact she gave me my first sketch kit when I was 6 and my first set of oils when I was 10. I walked into her den and she was sitting on the couch with a huge bowl of popcorn and sipping a Pepsi. She told me to "have a seat." I did. For a few mins I watched the video.

"Aunt Shirley, isn't this an exercise video?"

"Yes, its Richard Simmons. I love it. Watch the girl in the black. She looks like she's having fun. Want some popcorn?" She offered me the bowl.

"Hmm, no thanks. Aren't you suppose to exercise with it?"

"Yes, but I like to watch it better."

I left not long after and when I got in the car I sat at the wheel for a minute, laughing at the image of her sitting on the couch with her legs propped on the coffee table, munching on popcorn while Richard S sweated to the oldies.

Last night, I kept the nephews for a while. They were playing in the kitchen. I microwaved some popcorn, put my feet up on the couch and turned on the VCR. A few minutes later, the nephews came into the den to see what was on and to raid the popcorn bag. Mom came in at about that time.

"What are you doing?" She asked.

William answered, "Watching girls dance, Nana."

Ben said, "me too." His words were muffled due to a mouth full of popcorn.

Mom looked at me, strangely. "Sherrie, is that an exercise tape?"

"Yes, its Hip-hop. Mary gave it to me. She doesn't like it. Sit down. Have some popcorn."

"But aren't you suppose to exercise to it?"

"Yes, but right now we like to watch these chicks get down. Don't we boys?"

See.... what goes around, comes around.

No comments: