Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The Long Walk... from here to there.

Thursday night, Al called. I hadn't been home 10 minutes. Was eating a slice of pizza...cold pizza (pepperoni) when the phone rang and it was Al. He was in town over at one of his friend's house. He asked what I was doing and I told him. He said, "I'm hungry too." I said, "Come over...I'll cook us something."

So he did. I cooked a simple stir-fry of cauliflower, carrots, baby carrots sauteed in garlic, ginger and soy sauce. We ate it over a splash of angel hair pasta. Was very good.

After that, we watched a bit of television, but mainly we talked. I suggested we go online and look at a site that has middle east jobs. He's been talking to a company out of Fort Bragg that hires civilians. He's dead set on going over to Iraq. I don't want him too but it's his dream...and I'm not going to take that away from him. We found a lot of useful info. In fact, we stayed on the PC until 2 am. It was too late for him to drive back to F-ville, so he stayed. I didn't mind that at all. ;)

Friday, I spent 99% of the day trying to format my photo files into jpegs, so that they could be burned to CD. The crazy part is that I have over 4000 files. I deleted all but 2000. Now, the old PC had a CD drive and a Floppy Drive. No burner. That meant I had to take about 25-30 floppies and save my photos to them. But get this...the new PC doesn't have a floppy drive. So I had to take the floppies home, save them to the PC at home and then burn disks. Talk about being tired of the computer....

Saturday, I kept the boys that morning and we had a pretty good time of dancing to the Wiggles TV show on Disney. Then we did some art and Mom came over to watch them so I could go to work. I disasembled the old PC...put up the new one and spent much of my day getting programs installed. Got off at 3. Hurried home. Got my stuff and drove up to G-ville to see Joyce. We exchanged Christmas gifts. I got a new pink sweater. It's pretty. Our plan was to go to the ECU basket ball game but her brother showed up with his new bride and we ended up cooking out. Steaks and ribs. It was nice. Joyce called a few friends and we had a small party.

That morning I got up very early and had brunch with my friend Dave and his wife. They live on the outskirts of G'ville. She wanted a Tarot reading but I didn't bring my cards. In fact, I'm still afraid of the deck. I left at 10 am.

Went directly to Al's house. Got there at about 11:30. He was still in bed. Let's just say I woke him up..."Sherrie Style." We spent the day cooking and joking around. I installed his DVD player and later we watched a few movies, while cuddling on the couch. I left the next morning and went straight to work.

He's coming over Thursday. I'm looking forward to it. A few of my friends are upset that I've let him back in my life. I know they don't understand, because they've never broken up with someone due to problems not related to being in love or cheating. When I ended things with Al...it was due to his drinking and losing jobs. Not because I wasn't in love with him... that love has never died...though I pretend it didn't exist for a long time. Now he's straightened up his life. Has his sh8t together and we're taking things slow. I'm not the same twinkly-eyed girl I was when we were together. I know that life can derail a relationship, no matter how much love is there. So does Al. Like he says, "We'll play it by ear."

I'm content with that.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

Like your friends, I also don't like the sound of Al. I remember first reading about him from your Painter Lady Guide to Dating - and even then he wasn't my favourite.

But I suppose you know your own feeling. If it feels right for you, then just go ahead. You know you can always cry later...