Monday, September 12, 2005

Aunt Sherrie Gone Rabid

When I got home Friday, I was informed that Ben's birthday party was going ot be held at my house Sunday....I wasn't happy. Why? Because I end up doing all the work. But like a good aunt, I agreed, knowing it was out of my hands. Mom swore she would be here at 3 to cook and everyone would be gone by 5-6.

Saturday when I got home from work the kitchen table was lined up with gifts that needed wrapping--my mom's and my brother's... not including mine (I had only a couple of things). Yes, I was the selected wrapper. Mom's excuse: "You have that touch." She's right I do. My present wrapping is as inticing as what's inside. I spent an hour and a half doing all our presents.

After my date that night... I'll get back to it... as I took off my earrings, I realized I hadn't gotten a present for Dad to give... so... that meant a trip to Wal-Mart-village the next morning....

So I'm up at 9 am, do my thing at walmart, make sure the house is tidy, get a shower and as my hair sits in curlers, I blow up a billion balloons. At 2:45, my sister arrives with William, who promptly gets on the PC to play games. I go out to help my sister get in party stuff and find that it's limited to one bag... a bag of presents. Where's the food? There is none. Her reply: "I think Mom's bringing it."

Lisa starts putting streamers up everywhere and I began to get a very strange feeling that Mom thinks Lisa is bringing the food...it is her party....even if it's at my house.

3 pm arrives..no Mom...3:30 arrives...no Mom... The rest of the guests were suppose to come by 4. Most arrive at 3:30. No food... in fact I have no idea what the menu is....

I go to the outside freezer to see what I have in there. I'm one who keeps a stock of stuff. That habit goes back to the farming days when we kept a freezer or two stocked with livestock grown for that purpose. I found some ground beef but not enough to feed 9 adults and a few kids. There in the back, under a bunch of frozen tomatoes, I found a huge bag of those frozen hamburger patties. I took them inside, took Lisa to get them ready for the grill. Then I went outside and lit it.

Around 4, Mom showed up... with only a head of lettuce. I was right...she thought Lisa was bringing food to cook. Since none of us are grazers, I was glad I had taken the task of foraging for food to cook.

I was so pissed, but I took charge and got the cooking done. During the whole process, Mom kept telling me how to do stuff or would question my way of doing it. I answered sharper than I meant to do a few times and she said, "Why are you grumpy today?" I let it ride.

Ben had a blast. He got a lot of fun toys and I took some photos, which may or may not show up here.

After the party was over. After everyone said how great the food was...how much fun they had...after everyone left at around 7, except mom (who left a while later)... I sat down in the den and called her into the room. I told her that from now on, if a party is planned at my house that we are going to sit down and discuss the roles of all involved before the party starts, not during it nor after it.

~ ~ ~
I have to laugh... as I wrote this rant, Dad mentioned the party... he said, "You threw a great party yesterday."

Thanks Dad... I needed to hear that.

No comments: