Thursday, September 29, 2005

"Arrows...What Arrows???"



I didn't see the Indians!


.......

Yesterday, my brother and my Granny went to Shoney’s for lunch. She likes their senior citizen prices. I was worried that she would get lost, because lately she’s been getting lost when she comes to visit. When I got home last night, I privately asked my brother if they found Shoney’s. He said, “Yep. We had no problem. The food wasn’t too bad this time.”

I said, “Good. I was worried.”

As I was turning to leave he said in a very low voice, “But we did drive down a one-way street the wrong way going to Mom’s work.”

“What???”

“Mom asked Granny to stop by the work on the way home from lunch. We came to a traffic light. Granny said, ‘I don’t see any cars.’ I thought she that she was confusing the light with a stop sign, so I said, ‘Granny, this is a traffic light. NOT a stop sign.’”

“Was she confused?”

“No, she said, ‘No cars are coming. I’m going.’ And drove through it. Right into the one-way street.”

“Didn’t she see the sign? She was on Chestnut. How did she get on Chestnut?”

“I don’t know. I said, ‘Granny, that sign said “Do Not Enter.’ She said, ‘They mean someone else. They aren’t talking about us.’”

“OMG. Did you tell her to get off the street or to turn around?”

“No, I was paralyzed. When we passed another ‘Don Not Enter’ Sign, she said, ‘I must be going the wrong way. Oh well, those cars are moving over. We’re ok.’ She kept driving. All the cars we met moved over.”

“You’re lucky you were on Chestnut. It has double lanes. Elm doesn’t.”

“Sher-Bare, what killed me was when she said, ‘I don’t know why people are looking at me like I’m crazy.”

Oh man, I tried not to laugh and he was trying not to laugh. Then he said, “When we got to mom’s work, Granny parked and said, ‘That wasn’t so bad. We made it.’”

I know this isn’t funny because she could get in an accident or worse…end up lost in Florida. But hearing my brother tell the story… it was funny. I told Mom and she said “Why didn’t Mother tell me?”

“Mom, Granny’s not going to admit she’s not driving well. She won’t accept that her body’s wearing out. She’s afraid that she’s getting old.”

“She’s 80, Sherrie.”

“Zackly.”

1 comment:

John said...

Come on down to Florida. The sign at the border says,

"Send us your retired and not-so-poor, yearning to drive free."

They check AARP cards at the welcome station.