Saturday, January 08, 2005

Tonight...

...........I am home.... sick. This head cold is trying to kick my ass. I'm taking medicine, sipping hot tea, steam baths, etc...and I can't seem to shake it. I get tired of these respiratory ailments I seem to be prone to.

Canceled plans to go out with the girls last night. We had plans to go see the male exotic dance review at Cagney's in Fayetteville. For once the thought of half naked oiled up gyrating guys didn't move me. When I came home at 5:20 and promptly went to bed, my brother called Mom to come over and check on me. She brought the nephews with her. When she saw how pale I was she wanted to take me to the Urgent Care center. I told her I would be ok once I had some hot tea or soup and rest. She made me some tea and had me sit on the couch with a blanket around me.

The nephews don't understand what it means when someone is sick besides them. William's 5 and Ben's 3... to them us adults are invincible. So they decide to sit on me as I'm lying on the couch. I asked them if they thought I was a chair. Ben said "No you a girl." Mom told them my head hurt--which in hindsight, I wished she hadn't of done. Both of them would pat my head or my cheeks and say "You hurt?" By the time they left I was almost in tears. John, my brother apologized for calling mom. He didn't realize she would bring the boys with her and that they would terrorize me.

I went to bed at 9:30 and slept fitfully. Kept waking up, drowning in sinus drainage. I finally got up at 1 am and wrote a few poems. I don't think I slept again until 4 am. So I woke up feeling tired and icky. Went to work anyway and actually got a few things done. Left at 2, stopped by the grocery store and picked up some soup and steaks for tomorrow's dinner.

Came home. Made some hot tea. Canceled my evening plans to go with my guy pal Doug to Fayetteville. He is shopping for furniture for his daughter's bedroom. She's 4 and a cutie pie. He is a single father and does a good job of spoiling her. I wasn't fired up about going with him anyway. We're 11 yrs apart in age and I know to some that doesn't mean anything. But when you're on two different levels of maturity, it does. Even as friends only, it still makes a difference. He doesn't even know what sea monkeys are or has never heard of Earth Wind & Fire!!!! Our topics of conversation are children, reality tv, the Beach Boys and movies. He was cool about me wimping out of the trip. He is very naive and I find myself censoring things I would normally say--not because it would embarrass him but because he wouldn't understand it and explanations tend to ruin spur of the moment comments or jokes.

I took a 4 hour nap and feel so much better. Sipping a cup of hot tea now and downloading music.

No comments: