Saturday, January 22, 2005

Those old Elbo Days



The Elbo Room was my favorite place to hang out at during my second year at ECU. The first year was spent coming out of my frightfully shy shell. Joyce and I weren’t roommates yet. It was weird how we were one of the few returning people to our dorm floor. I think that’s why we became so tight that year. My roommate was a nursing student who didn’t believe in partying, dancing, having guys in our room or listening to loud music. Luckily Joyce’s roommate lived with her boyfriend and used the illusion of staying with Joyce as a cover so her parents wouldn’t find out.

The Elbo Room… small, tight dark place with the dance floor taking up most of it. They played dance music, except during happy hour on Fridays. Then they played rock and roll. Oh you could get a tall boy (a 16 oz can) of beer for under a buck. We would stand around and drink, sometimes talking to guys. My friend Susie, whom I will meet the next year used to dance in the little game room area all by herself. Guys would gather around while she did her redneck jig. I would crack up over her antics.

I remember one time…Joyce and I hit happy hour. Then we went to Daryl’s restaurant to get a salad and drink some of their buy-one-get-the-2nd-for-a-nickel mixed drinks...after that we stopped at Fast Fare (a quick stop convenient store) for a bottle of wine and proceeded to drink it before passing out at 9 pm. Never made it back to the Elbo Room that night.

And dance… my friends and I didn’t need guys to dance with. We would jump on the dance floor and shake our groove things…eventually guys would join in.

We were there almost every night except Monday’s and Tuesdays. How we loved the Elbo Room.

It wasn’t until the next year that we found ourselves torn between the Elbo Room and Rafters….

I’ll have to finish this later time to get home… I’m rambling on I know. How I love these old memories.

No comments: