Friday, January 14, 2005

Herbing

From April 2002

Sunday was too beautiful to ignore. So I took time for the herb garden torture session.I couldn't find my garden gloves. Either the weeds or a mole had hid them or I had misplaced them. Plundering in the garden tool area of my barn, I found the faded worn pair that my Mother has had for years. I looked at them for a long time, debating on whether to go at it bare handed and ruin my nails, or use the dirt-crushed gloves.I was intrigued by the way they looked like her hands, so tattered with time, much like a pair of worn shoes. I slipped a hand into one. It felt different. My hand automatically adjusted to the form of the glove. I slipped on the other one.

Off to the garden, I went, humming a tune, "the Flight of the Bumblebee,"as bees were buzzing in the azaleas. For a few hours, I battled Bermuda grass, milkweeds and other unthinkable horrors, like earthworms. As I toiled over my labor, imaging how rich my herb garden would bein supplying me with endless basil, dill, chives, mint, oregano, etc, my gloved hands worked diligently, as if on their own accord. Suddenly, I paused with my hoe, as a thoughtful musing occurred. Since I was wearing my Mother's work gloves, was I by osmosis absorbing her gardening wisdom and skills? Would I be wiser in the dealings with domesticating Mother Nature, now that I was wearing the gloves of a wise woman like my Mother? I wish that it were that easy, don't you? To be able gather wisdom through something as simple as wearing gloves.

It would make life easier, yes, but is life made to be easy? I don't think so. We are here by the blueprint of a higher being. We are meant to learn life's lessons on our own accord, mistakes and all. Still, it amused me to think that my Mother's gloves have blessed me with newly enhanced gardening skills. I felt like I had been promoted to `Demi-goddess' of the Garden.

(Hey… when I feast on my first herbs from my little garden, it will be like Ambrosia of the Gods. I think that act will transform me into a full-fledged Goddess of the Garden.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

u should get published... u have talent.