Saturday, January 08, 2005

A Fire Burned

This poem is about Allen and I. We danced around each other for weeks, before we finally danced. A Dance of Fire. Even though the last 2 years of our relationship was full of trauma, I can still remember our first dance--the magic of it, the intensity that we felt--so strong that we didn't see the world around us. A dance has to end sometime.

A Fire Burned

Across the divide
that once parted
you and I,
a fire burned.
The heat smote the sun
and drove the eyes of the world
into shadow,
for the intensity was unbearable.

You and I danced.
The world ceased to exist
on the same plane as we did.
Never once did we question
the reasoning behind
the intensity of our flame.

We chose to let it breathe,
stealing oxygen from the sky.
When the fire died to an ember,
you stood on the edge of our world,
rubble and chaos at your feet.

And you watched me dance
alone in a cool blue flame
on a solitary path
across the divide
that once again parted
you and I.

No comments: