Monday, December 17, 2007

Diarrhea



I was right about Al and his shopping. We spent over 2 hours at Cross Creek Mall and all he bought was a present for one person.

As we were driving to the mall, Or rather as Al was driving and I was backseat driving, we hit heavy traffic. Al drives too fast sometimes and I was giving him my opinion of it all the way to the mall.

And he tuned me out. I know this. Hell, I tune out backseat drivers as well. But as we turned into the mall and drove around to the J C Penney's side, I told him to take the left lane because the right merged into the exit out of the mall onto Morganton Rd. Which takes us back into the heavy traffic. He followed my direction much to my surprise... and when he had to slow down for speed bumps and pedestrians, he complained, "Why did you tell me to go this way?"

I knew he wasn't listening to me talk about the new construction and re-direction of traffic at the mall.

It teed me off a bit, I know I can talk a lot but...

so I said, "Al, I don't always have diarrhea of the mouth. There is important stuff thrown into what I say. You should listen more often, instead of tuning me out."

He began to laugh really hard, "Diarrhea of the mouth? What a 'Sherrie-ism!'"

Naturally, I went into a lecture over the importance of listening to me, even when he doesn't want too...and yes, I was promptly tuned out.

That's the way it goes... I tune him out when he's telling me how to cook. I guess it's only fair that he tunes me out when I tell him how to drive.

No comments: