Monday, February 06, 2006

Poem of Today

A poem in Haibun style


Night settles on the lashes of your eyes, as I watch you sleep. It
seems I am always doing that--watching you sleep in quiet dreams. We
never know what roads we take when we find love, it's dusty trails a
mystery. But I do know this much, I find the simple things in life
are those sought in silence, like the exhalation of sighs on skin,
the faint sheen of sweat after sex and the shelter of your arms as
you hold me.

Night settles on the planes of your body, as I watch you sleep. I
travel them with my eyes and marvel at the dips and curves along the
sculpture of your flesh. My hands and lips know them well. I can
envision every freckle, every dimple and tender spot on you. Under
moonlight, I inspect the pads of my fingertips to see if the paths
they've traveled over your body are engraved in their folds like
they're engraved on my soul.

Night settles on the edges of my eyelashes, as I fight sleep. The
moon whispers that the time has arrived for me to join you in
slumber, to climb the stargazer's ladder to dreamland and seek you
there. But I don't want to surrender the night, because it belongs
to me and silence--the eyes of shadows are mine and I keep you there.

under moonlight's glow
dreams wrap around you and I
like entwining limbs

No comments: