Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Savage Nature--a repost

I posted this in my other blog... and its going here too. So if you've read it once... you're allowed to skip over it.

I can't get over the tragedy that struck South Asia. The death toll is something I can't imagine...its my town's population almost 4 times over!!! I watched the news on TV last night and this morning and I wept. The street corner preacher came in this morning and said that it's the end of times. God's coming soon. I don't know about that.. I do know God's trying to tell us something... we've got to listen... now that he's got our attention.

When I first started writing erotica back in 99, my first ever fan was an older man from Poland. I call him Uncle Woody. He wrote to me and I surprised him by replying. From there we've developed a friendship that has lasted all this time. He does translations to English for companies in Poland. His wife is somewhat sickly but he takes her on a month long vacation every year. Usually to Greece. He'll send me hints with langtitude and longatude. When I give up, he'll give me the location. This year his visit was to Thailand. He took it in Nov. Below is his email. He sent me upon his return... he included the most beautiful photos. Excuse his English--after all he's from Poland.

Dear Sherrie,
It was long month. I’ve seen many Thai beauties – long sandy beaches, completely empty, picturesque islands, coconut palms. Very warm sea (more than 85 F) excellent for swim. I have spent three weeks living on four islands where there was electricity at day (only from 6 pm up to midnight). There wasn’t cell phone connection too so my notebook worked as store for pictures. We were gone from island to island by Chao-Lae’s (“sea gipsy”) longboats. Last few days I was in Bangkok visiting Buddhist’s temples, king palace and museums. Unforgettably sights. I am arrived to home yesterday and have lot of to do, especially make correction to pictures (I’ve shoot about 400).I write more soon.
Kisses – Woody

Then today I received this email from him with another photo of some Thai boats.

Dear Sherrie,
Have you heard what happened in Thailand? I am lucky to be at Christmas home. I have been in this region. Lived in many islands. I don’t know if peoples I’ve met are alive, have their small huts, boats. What I remember that any time I have seen fishermen’s boats at see. What happened to beautifully beeches I spent holiday? It is tragedy. This was high tourist season. I have read that more than 1500 Swedish was missed, 800 Norwegians many Germans and few only Poles. This accident showing how humans are vulnerable and how nature is strong.These three last days I am watching TV, reading Internet’s news and sorrow. Why?
kisses..Woody

I was at a loss as to how to reply. So I kept it simple:

Dear Woody
My soul weeps for South Asia. It is horrible--the loss of lives and homes. I thought of you when I first heard the news. I have the lovely pictures you sent me and I am thankful that you were not there when the Tsunami hit. Even as I wept for those that were lost. God is telling us something--that we are not Gods. Mother Nature is stronger and shows no mercy. All we can do is pray and be the best that we can be.

I do know this.. you are special to me and I'm glad you are here.
Kisses Sherrie

No comments: