Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Lipstick and Moving Cars

I saw something this morning that cracked me up. I had to run to the Office Depot to get some 11 x 17 photo paper. I forgot to order it last week. On the way to the studio, I drove down Elm St. At 15th, it goes into one way traffic. Since 1999, the city has been working on the drainage system so that means there are a lot of little bumps and hiccups in the road. I drove in the right lane, because eventually the other ends and I hate trying to nose into the right lane. When I stopped for the light at Godwin and Elm, I noticed a lady in the passenger seat of the car in the left lane trying to apply lipstick. When the light changed the car surged forward, hitting the little series of bumps that I drive slowly over. I caught up with them a few blocks down at the next light and laughed--the lady had lipstick all over her mouth. She was telling the driver off, as she took a napkin and wet it with her tongue to get the dark lipstick off her face.

Made me think of Charles...we dated from Feb 89 to Jan 95. The first two years he lived down a long dirt road. It was naturally a very bumpy road. The first time I tried to apply lipstick the same thing happened to me--it got every where. But I quickly adapted to the bumps by allowing a breath between my lips and the lipstick, so that when we hit the bumps the lipstick would dance with my lips... I would move the lipstick across my lips with the bumping...thus never getting any where it shouldn't be.

This really bothered Charles for some stupid reason. He would drive as fast as he could over the bumps and still I would master the lipstick. I have control and know how to use it... poor Charlie--never did.

No comments: