Thursday, March 01, 2007

Dinner any one?




Al caught a oppossum in his cat trap last night. He's been hearing something under the house near the bathtub for months. He thought it was a cat. But I knew better. During November, he had some plumbing issues and when they opened the hatch to the back of the bathtub, there was a nest of leaves, insulation and pine straw. Cats don't make nests. Al figured the leaves and straw came from being stuck in fur. I think he knew it wasn't a cat but wanted to believe it.

The lady who he does home repair work for part-time lent him a cat trap. I should have made a bet that he would catch a oppossum but I didn't. So when he called last night, I refrained from saying I told you so. He was so proud he caught it. Said it was huge and took up most of the space inside the cage. Naturally it was angry and hissed at him. I asked, "So...what are you going to do with it?"

Total silence for 5 seconds. "Damn, I don't know. Guess I'll take it out to the country and release it."

"It needs to be a long ways off, dearie. Those things are territorial and will return."

"Damn, it's big. I think I'll call animal control tomorrow morning."

I said, "Brilliant idea, sweetie.'

Later I told Mom (who spent the night with me because her boyfriend is out of town). She asked, "What's he going to do with it?"

Not missing a beat, I said, "Oppossum au Gratin. It's a French dish. Al says it's delicious."

Her face was priceless. You would think after knowing me for 44 years, she would know when I was joking. So I quickly said, "He's calling animal control in the morning."

He called at 9 am and said they were on the way. I told him what I told Mom and he laughed. "You're a nut, but that's not a bad idea." I knew he was joking.

At least I hope so...

No comments: